I’m trying to compile a reading list of 20th and 21st Century Plays about Plays, and I would really appreciate your input.
The metaplays (no musicals or adaptations) on the list may be about any of the following:
- A real or fictional playwright.
- An actor or acting.
- A director, a producer, a stage manager, a costume/set/sound designer.
- A front of house role, such as box office, usher, etc.
- A theatregoer.
- A theatre audience.
- A theatre critic.
- A theatre movement or subgenre.
- Drama/Theatre as a metaphor for depicting life, for telling a story not otherwise directly about drama or theatre.
- A play within a play.
Here are some to start it off:
Tim Crouch, The Author; an oak tree; ENGLAND
Maria Irene Fornes, Summer in Gossenssass
Moises Kaufman, Gross Indecency
Tom Kilroy, Tea and Sex and Shakespeare; The Secret Fall of Constance Wilde
Michael Mac Liammoir, The Importance of Being Oscar
Theresa Rebeck, The Understudy